Bratislava - the capital city of Slovakia.jpg
Slovak flag

The National Theatre

SND

  ... on Hviezdoslav Square was built in 1886 in the spirit of the Neorenaissance by Viennese architects F. Fellner and H. Helmer. A theatre had been built there before, on the space created when the town's walls were knocked down and parts of the Danube River were filled in. The main facade with its balcony is decorated by allegorical statues by V. Tilgner. In 1888, a fountain with a bronze Ganymede astride an eagle was constructed in front of the theatre. Today the building is home to the National Opera and Ballet.
Bratislava City, Slovakia