Bratislava - the capital city of Slovakia.jpg
Slovak flag

St. Martin's Cathedral

St. Martin's Cathedral

  ... is the most sacred and significant Gothic building in the town. It stands where there was once a Roman church. Construction began in 1221 and continued in the 14th and 15th centuries. Next to the cathedral is St. Anne's Chapel and a Baroque chapel to St.John Almužník from the first half of the 18th century. The cathedral was actually built into the town's outer walls as part of its fortification. In 1563, when Bratislava became the capital of Hungary, the cathedral was used as the coronation chapel. On the top of the tower there is a large Hungarian crown from the 19th century. Over the portal that used to be the cathedral's main entrance, there is a Gothic relief depicting the Holly Trinity. There are many such artistic and historical mementos left: the altars, the epitaphs and sculptures by R. Donner, the statue of St. Martin, and the statue of Archbishop Esterházy in St. John Almužník Chapel.
Bratislava City, Slovakia