Bratislava - the capital city of Slovakia.jpg

Podunajské Biskupice

Podunajské Biskupice

  It lies on the periphery of the Žitný Ostrov. Archeological findings give evidence of its settlement from the times of Roman expansion (a part of Roman inscription on a milestone). The oldest written document (German name of Kirbach) dates back to the years 1260-70, when it belonged to the Archibishop Annon of Ostrihom. In 1536 Podunajské Biskupice was considered a town. In 1972 it was connected to Bratislava. The Church of St. Nicolaus from the 13th century, the Neo-Baroque Church of St. Joseph from the 17th century and classicistic Trinity column from 1730 belong to the most interesting historical monuments.

Area: 42.5 km2
Number of inhabitants: 20 600
Population density per km2: 485

Bratislava City, Slovakia